[This post is based on a Graduate Trainee Session on E-Developments and my own experiences. See the introductory post here. ]
Top 10 Reasons that E-Resources are Cool!
- Online collections are more accessible. Readers have access to e-resources 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – whenever and wherever they are (as long as they have internet connection!)
- E -books are always in stock so there is no need to wait for reservations, you can get a copy instantly.
- Marking e-books is fine! E-books are personal and readers can highlight and annotate without destroying the original book!
- When reading e-Books you can change the font style, colour and more to make reading more comfortable and enjoyable.
- E-resources add value to service
- E-resource opens up collections to new readers (e.g. distance learners)
- There is no wear or tear on collections, the original book can be preserved and readers have access to a text in pristine condition – no missing pages or dusty covers!
- E-books enable full text searches so you can find what you need quickly
- E-books are portable! You can read on the go with a laptop, notebook, eReader or mobile device.
- No more fines! E-books automatically remove from your device meaning no late fines!
And the downsides in brief…
- e-resources can be expensive!
- e-resources involve a lot of testing, we need to be certain that our resources will work on a number of different mobile platforms as well on the usual PC/MAC
- Keeping up to date when technology improves can be costly and time consuming
- Ensuring readers understand how to access and use the latest e-resources effectively is another challenge